Thursday, December 3, 2009

Double Century for Grandma

Me, Grandma, Grandpa and Dad on the 2008 Ride to Conquer Cancer

Our Ride to Conquer Cancer has gone from a double metric century to a true double century, 200 miles, or about 320 kilometres between Toronto and Niagara Falls.

I was signed up all along, but my dad originally opted for the 200K. When the Ride Guide called me to let me know some info, I found out that the 200M ride I'd signed up for wasn't like the 2008 edition where we got an added ride in the afternoon to make up the miles. Instead, the 200-milers are riding an entirely different route! With different rest stops! So ... if dad and were to ride together, we'd need to decide which route we're doing.

I thought switching down would make the most sense but they said that the 200km route was full!!

So Dad has now bravely moved up, and we're doing the BIG ride. I don't think I've ever been in the saddle for that long, so this is going to be something. I hope you're inspired to donate to our now-harder-than-ever challenge!!

I know we'll make it because I'm very sad to tell you, we have a new family member to add to our memorial list.

My Grandma -- dad's mom -- passed away on November 27 2009 peacefully at St. Catharines General hospital. She was diagnosed with Lung Cancer on the 25th. So we'll do this one for her, and I know she'll help us get it done.

Losing her is a reminder of how important it is to do what we can to help researchers find a cure, and families get the care they need.

Thank you in advance for whatever you can contribute.

Please DONATE to Kris Lake or DONATE to Mark Lake in memory of Marian Lake.



Water colour by my grandma, Marian Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment