Monday, June 30, 2014

Update: BCBR So Far

Lying in the RV with my legs up and since I'm terrible at napping, I thought I'd get some more words and photos up from our good times so far. Of course they do no justice - this event is pretty next level in every sense. 
This is my girl before our first day. In case you missed it, I drew Gerhard's birthday for a race number which makes me smile every time. Day one's stage was gnarly. If I was a hiker, I would consider completing the course an accomplishment, so steep/rooty/slippery were some of the descents/drops. With my beloved Top Fuel, I felt like i'd brought a knife to a gun fight. The North Shore is no joke and it was quite the welcome for us racers. Ok bcbr! You have my attention. ;) 
These pink ribbons are our guides on course. Despite remote trails, technical terrain and long courses, they are perfectly placed and I've never felt a shadow of a doubt that I was headed the right way. Love it. This one was photographed on our opening section day one. A little ways after this, we had a bear on the course (I could have sworn I heard him woof while preriding). 
This is an after picture ... Despite super wet weather, BC mud is very forgiving and rarely cakes up which makes it kind of fun, actually. 
Here's the Open Women's podium (my category). Day one saw Wendy Simms (2013 BCBR Champ) in third, Endurance pro Sonya Looney in 2nd and Olympian Lea Davison with the win. I came 12th. 
At the end of each stage, I've learned the procedure is: eat something, drink, bike wash (you can do it yourself or a volunteer group will take a donation to do it for you), then eat something, drink something, shower. Eat drink sit. 
Here's the bike wash. Whatever you do, don't get showered and cleaned up first. I found out the hard way it's an excellent method for getting clean clothes soaked and muddy. 
When you're bike is clean, dry it, lube it, then these fine volunteers pack it into the transport trucks to move to the next stage. The organization behind tearing down and rebuilding base camp is astounding. 
We're on the move! Our first ferry ride. Met lots of awesome people on board and ate chips with my feet against a wall so I was happy. 

We spent the night at mama and papa bear Gross's house eating eating and eating. The Team Kris RV went ahead to Powell River and the Gross family took over support crew duties like champs. 

Annnnd, welcome to day two! Sorry for the foggy pic. My phone was in my sweaty pocket ;) 
Reposed San Diego today (not pictured: my Sock Guy Arch Ride socks)
My favorite male cheerleader and me post race. 

My day was much more manageable today. Loved the singletrack though still felt a little outgunned bike wise. Dropper posts are mandatory here. Mandatory. Enjoyed the climbs and then went my own [safe] pace down the descents. Starting to get the hang of this BC singletrack but it's been a very humbling experience. Until yesterday, I was fairly certain I am a decent (maybe even good?) bike rider. Now I am not so sure, haha. 

And here is our home for the next two nights! Powell River is lovely so far. Looking forward to a 49km stage tomorrow followed by a dip in the pacific for my aching legs. The support team is headed out on a salmon fishing mission so with any luck, we'll have something special for dinner tomorrow! 

PS - blogged from my iPhone! Please forgive typos and formatting :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment