Friday, February 26, 2010

Olympic Update: Last Day in Blue!

snowy final shift

Today was my last day as a volunteer at the Whistler Sliding Centre! Went out with the four-man bobsled. We also had rain all day so I can't say I'm sad to be done. As a parting gift, they gave us a little Swatch watch and a medallion thingy that I'll probably bury in a box somewhere and then find ten years from now. I'll think back to the amazing exeperience this has all been.

The watch though I'll probably auction to raise money for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Now accepting interested offers!

I suppose now would be a good time to reflect on all the people I met, the spectators I helped, the racing I cheered, the medals Canada brought home (and hopefully will bring home tomorrow) ... but really I'm pretty exhausted so I think I'll keep this one short.

But I would be remiss if I didn't mention we're now number 1 for golds!!!!

While my volunteering is all but over, I'm still in the west for another couple days. Tomorrow the Premier is speaking to athletes at a reception in Vancouver, so I'll try to make it to that and hear what he has to say. Still haven't had a chance to meet up with some western friends so I'll also do some rounds I hope. Would be amazing to get out riding again (snow OR dirt), but I won't hold my breath.

Then Monday, I'll be fighting my way through YVR with the 39,000 other people (and 77,000 bags) expected to be leaving -- a record apparently. Fingers crossed, and thank god I'm not flying standby!

Team Canada closes their second run, putting them in 2nd going into the finals!

After the Americans went over (a TON of crashes today) their sled is trucked back to the operations buildings

Riiiiiiiicola!

Rocking out with Wintersleep in the Village Square: my swan song.

I meet some mounties on my way to the bus. Height requirement to get in you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment