Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Race Report: Los Olivos / Santa Ynez Kenda Cup #4



This race is the furthest afield we'll go with the Kenda Cup Series and by golly it was worth the drive. Just north of Santa Barbara, we were treated to big views draped in velvety green, gnarled oaks and grazing cattle all punctuated by rows and rows of grapes under Tuscan light. It was so wow.

Teammate Paula and I joined forces for the trip north and if all we did was the drive and hang out with our Ninja buddies, I would have counted that a good weekend. But we also got to race bikes, so it was pretty much the best ever.

The course hosted by "Dirt Club" was stunning. Though not particularly technical, its healthy helping of elevation, super fast open sections and stunning surroundings all worked to take your breath away. Paula and I prerode a lap, got a little mixed up in the Super D happening Saturday and then it was off to a team dinner. Once full of Mama's Italian pork chops and spaghetti, we hit the sack, reminding ourselves that it wasn't all laughing, fun and games -- we're supposed to be getting focused!

I woke up Sunday with the sniffles, a headache and exhausted after lying awake for an hour around 2am. Perfect. I heard myself say "I just need a coffee" which actually ended up working somehow. And no, I wasn't hungover. Still, though my nose was happier and my head was clearer, I couldn't coax any appetite so that was a bummer. But off to the races anyway.

The drive from where we stayed in Lompoc to the course was enough to make anyone feel better though. We even saw some coyotes frolicking in the golden hour light. The Ninja tent was all abuzz when we got there. Everyone was scheduled to race at the same time, save for Aaron Hauck who was getting ready to head out an hour before us with the endurance racers. Thanks to Syd for helping to feed ALL of us at once.

Good vibes
Course was long -- 11 miles -- and racers were either completing 1 or 2 laps (2 for me). I got through my usual prep, Michael Henry thankfully was watching the clock while I was gabbing so I even made it to the start line with two minutes to spare. At the whistle I surged just enough to command the pace and then immediately settled knowing we had some steep ups ahead. I was listening carefully for the pedalling and breathing behind me, ready to counter attack if necessary. When the time was right, I moved, opened a gap and then worked to keep widening it.

The course was so fun it was easy to get carried away. Open, exposed, flowy with tight switchbacks everywhere it was a pleasure to ride. Everybody I passed or who overtook me was cheery and polite and I was happy with my ride, for sure. Plus, with everyone on course at once, it was fun catching teammates, and being caught in return -- especially enjoyed a little cat and mouse with Coach Richard on his single speed. It was starting to get hot and dusty by the end of lap 2 -- my drivetrain ended up completely dry so I was also happy to have it over, haha. I won my race but for sure the most memorable part of the weekend was hanging out and cheering on the MANY other Ninjas up on the podium for their events. Amazing showing. Also when Aaron put a cow pie in his mouth. I will remember that too. ;)

Thanks to Paula for all the driving!! Thanks to Coach Richard for helping me feel super strong and for the nuggets of wisdom you shared this weekend. Thanks to all my teammates for making me laugh, and making me proud.

King Shit

No comments:

Post a Comment