Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Olympic Update

One month 'til the Games!

I've been working with VANOC to get all my pre-Olympic training sorted out as well as uniforms and accreditation. Looks like I'll be Vancouver-bound on February 11, then making my way up the Sea-to-Sky. Luckily, as a volunteer our transportation is all taken care of once we're in BC, so that's a relief. They feed us too, which is always good news. I will work for sandwiches.

So here's my home for the Games: the Whistler Sliding Centre. Our events include some of my favourite Olympic sports: Bobsleigh, Luge and Skeleton. And just over at Creekside, hopefully I'll be able to catch a little Alpine to round it out. Still waiting to get my work schedule confirmed, but I'm expecting a minimum of 13 shifts over the entire Games, 8-10 hours each. I'll be earning my sandwiches, that's for sure. I'll also be begging someone (anyone!) to let me try sliding down on one of those sleds!



On the uniform, we're all issued a specific set of outer-wear and unfortunately, my glow-in-the-dark party pants are not invited. Bummer. But I think it's all for the best anyway -- our crew is going to look very professional. Smurfy, but professional.

The uniform consists of:

  • an outer shell jacket
  • a vest
  • two long-sleeved T-shirts
  • a pair of pants (I'll be in "Mountain Pants" I think, vs "City Pants")
  • and of course, a toque (no, it's not white.)

I think we are also issued a "beverage container" and it is the official, exclusive volunteer-bottle of the Games. Even our drinking will be professional. ;)

I'll be sure to post photos, modeling the whole ensemble.

In order to prepare myself for the elements, I'll need a new pair of warm dark mitts, and dark boots. Apparently my white snow boots aren't invited either so if someone has some good, warm, dark coloured ones I can borrow (size 8.5) please let me know! Mom?

Another exciting turn of events: Nancy is now a confirmed volunteer too! She'll be rocking the same uniform, but with "city pants" (hahaha) at the medical centre in Whistler, massaging the rippling muscles of international sports superstars.

To sign off, is anyone interested in renting "Cool Runnings" with me? We'll call it research! Let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment